Skip to main content

Weekend In

Back to work.

We spent most of the weekend at home since Junior is down with chicken pox. Saturday's menu is ayam masak korma and pengat pisang. Both are The Husband's cravings. So morning I managed to cook pengat pisang for breakfast using the same recipe as before.


Got started on my ayam masak korma. I decided to follow the recipe on the korma powder packet cos it seems simple enough and it's catered to that specific spice anyway.

So for 1 whole chicken, this is the recipe.

Ayam Masak Korma

1 whole chicken
2 onions, thinly sliced
2 cloves, 1 cardamom 1 star anise
5 cloves garlic
3 cm ginger
1 tbsp chili paste (I added because I didn't have fresh chilis)
5 tbsp korma powder, Malabar brand
2 tbsp meat curry powder, Malabar brand
1 packet Kara coconut cream (200ml)
Potatoes and cherry tomatoes

Thinly slice the onions, pound garlic and ginger together. Fry the sliced onions in oil. Add in the cloves, cardamom and star anise to fry together. Once the onions have become soft and fragrant, fry in the garlic and ginger paste. Fry in the chili paste until cooked. Add in the korma powder and curry powder and add a bit of water so that it won't dry out. Add in the chicken and potatoes and fry for about 5 minutes, add water to let the chicken and potatoes cook (about half hour?). Finally, add in the coconut milk on low heat and stir constantly to prevent the coconut milk from "breaking", and add in the cherry tomatoes.

Done!

And I'm proud to say, it's Husband approved! He says it's like his nenek's cooking (yessah!! I did it!), and he can't remember the last time he ate this so he's very pleased.


This recipe is easy and a keeper! My mum says my brother loves this too, but somehow my mum seldom cooks this haha.

Yesterday's menu was laksa, but since it was using an instant paste, I didn't bother taking pictures hurhur. We used Hai's Instant Laksa paste and it's not bad! It's a really good alternative to making laksa from scratch (I still prefer from scratch) cos it doesn't have preservatives or MSG (yay!) and all you need to do is add 800ml of water and 1 packet of coconut cream and you're done! It's quite spicy too so no need to add chili paste.

Here's pictures of my little angel, face full of calamine lotion. Thankfully he's not scratching himself or having a high fever or anything. Still as active as always :)

Junior with his selfie. Haha 

He wanted to use my bandana to wipe his sweaty head haha.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Daiso Ramekins

Finally finally went to Daiso!! Wanted to go there for ages already! The first thing I came in, went to the cooking section. Found my ramekins! But they're not white. Oh wells. Can't be choosy for $2 ramekins! There were white ones, but super small white ramekins. And pie tarts too! Oooh so tempting! But I don't know when I'll make tarts hurhur. Actually I'm still thinking what I should bake using these ramekins. I remember having one of those "I wish I had ramekins right now" moments but I can't remember when. Maybe when I was making lava cake . Daiso is evil. It's so cheap you just feel like coming back again! Oh and did I mention there's a $2 weighing scale?! Measures up to a kilo but that's quite alright for baking isn't it! I mean, $2!! Dirt cheap lah. Not sure about the accuracy though. Didn't do much cleaning last weekend, very much spent lazing around at home just like what weekends should be like. I love being at ho

Apam Balik

I love apam balik. The soft one, with lots of corn. So when @khairulaming posted this on his instagram, I bookmarked it. The recipe is not too much until you get sick of eating apam balik, but I do feel it needs some tweaks to get the pancake king version. But not bad for a first try. 2 cups flour 1/2 cup sugar 1 tsp baking powder 1/2 tsp baking soda 2 tbsp melted butter 1 1/4 cups water 1 egg Additional butter for the pan I do feel it needs some salt, more sugar and I shouldn't have liberally made it so thick HAHA. The pan is important too, I kinda burnt some parts of the pancake. Got them bubbles!! This recipe made 2 large pancakes. Also, the filling needs to be sprinkled with sugar liberally (read: 3 tbsp or so), my first try wasn't enough. Pancake was soft even for the next few days after that (kept in the fridge then reheated in the microwave). Husband found it to be acceptable, but I was kinda not okay with it but ohwells. I can tweak it

Rice Cooker Chicken Mushroom Claypot

All in one pot cooking, what's not to love!  Got this off tiktok, but I figured the chicken and mushroom in the recipe isn't enough. Wasn't really one pot cooking cos I cooked half of the chicken on a pan then added it later after the rice cooker was done. Rice Cooker Claypot Chicken marinade: 600g boneless thigh, cut into cubes 6 garlic, pound 2 inch ginger, pound 6 tbsp soy sauce 2 tbsp oyster sauce 4 tbsp sweet soy sauce Rice: Half of the chicken marinade above 2 1/2 cups rice 2 1/2 cups water 3 tbsp sesame oil 2 tbsp soy sauce 1 1/2 chicken cube (maybe 2 also can) 300g shitake mushrooms Coriander leaves, cut Spring onions, cut Marinate the chicken and leave it for about 30 min. Wash the rice. Add half the chicken marinade and all other ingredients into the rice cooker and mix well Cook using rice cooker. I cooked the remaining chicken over the stove and added the chicken, juices and all, into the rice cooker when it was just about done and needed a few minutes to set. M