Skip to main content

6 of 29 and Weekend's Bakes

Finally I can sit down. It's not always that I have non-stop meetings but kinda like it when I do.
 
Managed to bake twice last weekend! Still have yet to use my cream cheese frosting but since it's sitting prettily in my ice cream tub in the freezer, I shan't disturb it yet. Anyway I have more pressing food items to clear such as my looooonnnggg overdue bread and overripe bananas. Hence I made bread pudding on Friday morning and banana chocolate chip muffins on Saturday.

Before you freak out at the looonnngg overdue (read: 1 month old) bread, let me share a good tip for small households where bread doesn't run out that fast. I'm more of a cereal person. Whenever I buy bread, I keep it in the fridge. Lasts about a month or even more! It won't go dry, if it does, just heat it for 20 seconds in the microwave and it's soft like it was just baked this morning. And if you didn't manage to finish the rest of the loaf, fret not! Bread pudding always works!

I used my trusty recipe, with more milk than the recipe's proportion. And I added sliced almonds!


Bread soaking up the yummy custard before going into the oven.

I made vanilla sauce which was sweeter than usual cos the bread pudding wasn't sweet. Maybe cos I added too much milk haha. I love bread puddings. Sweeter alternative to the usual cereal breakfast! Yumyum!

Then I made muffins on Saturday. I know, I still have bread pudding to finish, but I mite as well make these and keep before I have to throw away the bananas.

The recipe is from Curious Foodie, and it is perfect! Soft, moist, full of flavour. Almost cake-like! I was kinda worried about the ground cinnamon bit but it adds sweetness and fragrance to the muffin. It wasn't overpowering too because Husband totally didn't find it repulsive.


Moist Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins

Ingredients (with my modifications)

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
4 (relatively large) ripe bananas, mashed
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter + 1/4 cup oil cos I was lazy to open another pack of butter
1/3 cup milk
2 small eggs
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
  1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease 12 muffin cups or line with muffin papers.
  2. Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.
  3. Combine bananas, sugar, butter & oil, milk, eggs and vanilla essence in a medium bowl.
  4. Mix wet ingredients into the dry ingredients bowl. Do not over-mix!
  5. Fold in chocolate chips, which I totally forgot until they were in the oven for a few seconds so I took them out and sprinkled in the chocolate chips!
  6. Divide batter among prepared muffin cups, fill it till 3/4 full.
  7. Bake until muffins are golden brown and tester inserted into center comes out clean, for about 25 minutes.
 

Yay all puffed up and pretty! I like! This, my friends, is husband-approved! YAY!! :)

And I'm happy to announce another husband-approved recipe, my honey basil chicken!

I made it yesterday morning so I can fry it at night and eat it this morning. I wasn't exactly measuring the stuff I used, so here goes:

Honey Basil Chicken

4 pieces of skinless chicken breast
1-2 tsp dried basil
1 1/2 tbsp honey
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp black pepper
Pinch of salt
Drizzle of oil, about 1 tbsp


I made the marinade in a plastic bag, then add in the chicken and gave a good mix. Usually you see cooks on food shows put them in a ziploc bag but I didn't have those so I used the pack-lauk kinda plastic bags. You know with the orange plastic string? Yah that one. It works! And the best part is your hands don't have to get dirty and the marinade is all in the bag!

Leave the chicken in the bag for about 5-7 hours in the fridge for the flavours to be absorbed. Pan fry for about 3-5 minutes each side, and you're done!

I got Husband to try, and he loves it! He even added that if I made that for him tapau for lunch he'll eat it! *beams*

Nothing beats praise from the husband :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Daiso Ramekins

Finally finally went to Daiso!! Wanted to go there for ages already! The first thing I came in, went to the cooking section. Found my ramekins! But they're not white. Oh wells. Can't be choosy for $2 ramekins! There were white ones, but super small white ramekins. And pie tarts too! Oooh so tempting! But I don't know when I'll make tarts hurhur. Actually I'm still thinking what I should bake using these ramekins. I remember having one of those "I wish I had ramekins right now" moments but I can't remember when. Maybe when I was making lava cake . Daiso is evil. It's so cheap you just feel like coming back again! Oh and did I mention there's a $2 weighing scale?! Measures up to a kilo but that's quite alright for baking isn't it! I mean, $2!! Dirt cheap lah. Not sure about the accuracy though. Didn't do much cleaning last weekend, very much spent lazing around at home just like what weekends should be like. I love being at ho

Apam Balik

I love apam balik. The soft one, with lots of corn. So when @khairulaming posted this on his instagram, I bookmarked it. The recipe is not too much until you get sick of eating apam balik, but I do feel it needs some tweaks to get the pancake king version. But not bad for a first try. 2 cups flour 1/2 cup sugar 1 tsp baking powder 1/2 tsp baking soda 2 tbsp melted butter 1 1/4 cups water 1 egg Additional butter for the pan I do feel it needs some salt, more sugar and I shouldn't have liberally made it so thick HAHA. The pan is important too, I kinda burnt some parts of the pancake. Got them bubbles!! This recipe made 2 large pancakes. Also, the filling needs to be sprinkled with sugar liberally (read: 3 tbsp or so), my first try wasn't enough. Pancake was soft even for the next few days after that (kept in the fridge then reheated in the microwave). Husband found it to be acceptable, but I was kinda not okay with it but ohwells. I can tweak it

Rice Cooker Chicken Mushroom Claypot

All in one pot cooking, what's not to love!  Got this off tiktok, but I figured the chicken and mushroom in the recipe isn't enough. Wasn't really one pot cooking cos I cooked half of the chicken on a pan then added it later after the rice cooker was done. Rice Cooker Claypot Chicken marinade: 600g boneless thigh, cut into cubes 6 garlic, pound 2 inch ginger, pound 6 tbsp soy sauce 2 tbsp oyster sauce 4 tbsp sweet soy sauce Rice: Half of the chicken marinade above 2 1/2 cups rice 2 1/2 cups water 3 tbsp sesame oil 2 tbsp soy sauce 1 1/2 chicken cube (maybe 2 also can) 300g shitake mushrooms Coriander leaves, cut Spring onions, cut Marinate the chicken and leave it for about 30 min. Wash the rice. Add half the chicken marinade and all other ingredients into the rice cooker and mix well Cook using rice cooker. I cooked the remaining chicken over the stove and added the chicken, juices and all, into the rice cooker when it was just about done and needed a few minutes to set. M