Skip to main content

Mutton Kabsa

Hello I am back. Haha. Although I have kabsa spice mix in the pantry, somehow I was afraid to cook it. Even today, I went to the supermarket and stocked up on ingredients for briyani but realised that I ran out of briyani spices. Sad. The kabsa mix has instructions on the packet but is so minimal, like how a mother explains a recipe. Came across this recipe, which is for chicken and now as I'm typing this, I actually visited the mutton version from the same website but didn't follow. I should've since there's more spices! Pfft. Oh wells next time then.

Mutton Kabsa Rice

1kg mutton (some with bone)
3 bay leaves
1 tbsp coriander powder
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp black pepper

1/3 cup butter
2 red onions, thinly sliced
6 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 inch ginger, finely minced
2 tomatoes, diced
1 tbsp tomato paste
3 tbsp Kabsa spice mix
Lemon zest (cos I don't have dried lime)
2 cups basmati rice (should be 4 but who's gonna finish it)
4 tsp salt

Tomato Salsa

1 large tomato
1 garlic
2 green chilis
2 - 3 stalks coriander leaves
1/4 tsp salt
Juice of 1/2 lemon

  1. Boil the mutton with bay leaves using pressure cooker until 3/4 cooked, about 5 - 10 minutes after whistle starts. Set meat aside. Some may want to use the mutton stock for cooking rice, but I didn't.
  2. Coat the meat with coriander powder, chili powder and black pepper.
  3. Wash the basmati rice thrice, and soak in water for 30 min.
  4. Heat butter in big pot. I mixed butter and oil.
  5. Fry the onions till soft and fragrant, then fry the garlic and ginger. Add 1 tsp salt to dry the onions.
  6. Add the tomatoes and tomato paste, cooking down till it forms a paste and oil separates from the paste.
  7. Add the Kabsa spice mix, lemon zest and mutton. Cook for a while to coat the mutton in the tomato/onion paste.
  8. Add water just enough to cover the meat, and cook the meat till tender. May take a while. Don't add too much water or rice will get soggy later. Add 3 tsp salt.
  9. Add the basmati rice and cook over the stove for about 20 min. 
  10. Blend all the tomato salsa ingredients together. Serve rice with salsa and salad.
Gotta admit, was kinda scared cos the rice seems wet still (see picture). Also my first time cooking rice in a pot over a stove! But turned out pretty decent, especially with the salsa.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Daiso Ramekins

Finally finally went to Daiso!! Wanted to go there for ages already! The first thing I came in, went to the cooking section. Found my ramekins! But they're not white. Oh wells. Can't be choosy for $2 ramekins! There were white ones, but super small white ramekins. And pie tarts too! Oooh so tempting! But I don't know when I'll make tarts hurhur. Actually I'm still thinking what I should bake using these ramekins. I remember having one of those "I wish I had ramekins right now" moments but I can't remember when. Maybe when I was making lava cake . Daiso is evil. It's so cheap you just feel like coming back again! Oh and did I mention there's a $2 weighing scale?! Measures up to a kilo but that's quite alright for baking isn't it! I mean, $2!! Dirt cheap lah. Not sure about the accuracy though. Didn't do much cleaning last weekend, very much spent lazing around at home just like what weekends should be like. I love being at ho

Apam Balik

I love apam balik. The soft one, with lots of corn. So when @khairulaming posted this on his instagram, I bookmarked it. The recipe is not too much until you get sick of eating apam balik, but I do feel it needs some tweaks to get the pancake king version. But not bad for a first try. 2 cups flour 1/2 cup sugar 1 tsp baking powder 1/2 tsp baking soda 2 tbsp melted butter 1 1/4 cups water 1 egg Additional butter for the pan I do feel it needs some salt, more sugar and I shouldn't have liberally made it so thick HAHA. The pan is important too, I kinda burnt some parts of the pancake. Got them bubbles!! This recipe made 2 large pancakes. Also, the filling needs to be sprinkled with sugar liberally (read: 3 tbsp or so), my first try wasn't enough. Pancake was soft even for the next few days after that (kept in the fridge then reheated in the microwave). Husband found it to be acceptable, but I was kinda not okay with it but ohwells. I can tweak it

Rice Cooker Chicken Mushroom Claypot

All in one pot cooking, what's not to love!  Got this off tiktok, but I figured the chicken and mushroom in the recipe isn't enough. Wasn't really one pot cooking cos I cooked half of the chicken on a pan then added it later after the rice cooker was done. Rice Cooker Claypot Chicken marinade: 600g boneless thigh, cut into cubes 6 garlic, pound 2 inch ginger, pound 6 tbsp soy sauce 2 tbsp oyster sauce 4 tbsp sweet soy sauce Rice: Half of the chicken marinade above 2 1/2 cups rice 2 1/2 cups water 3 tbsp sesame oil 2 tbsp soy sauce 1 1/2 chicken cube (maybe 2 also can) 300g shitake mushrooms Coriander leaves, cut Spring onions, cut Marinate the chicken and leave it for about 30 min. Wash the rice. Add half the chicken marinade and all other ingredients into the rice cooker and mix well Cook using rice cooker. I cooked the remaining chicken over the stove and added the chicken, juices and all, into the rice cooker when it was just about done and needed a few minutes to set. M