Skip to main content

Rogan Josh (Goat Meat)

Goat meat is expensive. I got a kilo from Mustafa at almost $40. But I was told that it's worth it, so here goes. Decided to make rogan josh out of it.

As with any Indian recipe, there's so many variations to it. I chose this version, and here's my tweaks. There are some things I missed out cos I don't have them (mace, Kashmiri chili powder) or I totally forgot until I am typing this (8 cloves, 2 tsp ground tumeric), and some things I cut short like grinding alllll spices altogether instead of having some in powder form, some not. I also added fennel seeds cos what's curry without fennel right? Hahaha

Rogan Josh

1kg goat meat
250ml yoghurt (I used greek)
4 medium onions
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 tbsp minced ginger
2 star anise
12 cardamom pods
2 tbsp black peppercorns
1 tsp cumin seeds
2 tsp coriander seeds
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp fennel seeds
2 tbsp chili paste
1 small tin of tomato puree (or 4 tbsp)

  1. Marinate the meat in yoghurt overnight.
  2. Slice onions thinly. For the dry spices, dry roast them on a pan for a couple of minutes. Grind all of them together.
  3. Fry ground spices in a bit of oil.
  4. Fry sliced onions in oil, add fried ground spices.
  5. Add chili paste, fry, then tomato paste, fry. 
  6. Add in the meat + yoghurt and fry for 10 minutes or so before adding water to simmer the meat.
The outcome is yumsss though it could use a bit more heat. But you can't go wrong when there's tomato puree and yoghurt! Loveeee the thick curry and it goes so well with bread, another food group I hope to master one day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bubur Asyura

Finally made this! Have been wanting to do so cos this porridge has loads of nuts. Not exactly a healthy porridge though since there's coconut milk. I already have most of the ingredients and had the time, so why not! I realise there's different types of bubur Asyura but I settled for the one closest to us, the Johor version . There's a lottt of ingredients, so I'll list in order of which goes into the pot first. I also boiled the mutton a day earlier so I can collect and throw away the fat from the stock. Bubur Asyura Saute: 1 stalk lemongrass 1 cinnamon stick 1 star anise 3 cardamoms 5 cloves 2 big onions, sliced 1 inch ginger, sliced 3 garlic, sliced 10 cups water (half is mutton stock, half water) 1 cup rice, washed 300g mutton, already cooked and shredded 1 tbsp soto powder 1/3 cup dhal, soaked in water for 10 min 1/3 cup peanuts, washed 1 1/2 carrots, diced 1 can chickpeas, washed 1 can kacang pool, washed 1/2 can sweet corn, washed 1 small box coconut milk Heat o...

Daiso Ramekins

Finally finally went to Daiso!! Wanted to go there for ages already! The first thing I came in, went to the cooking section. Found my ramekins! But they're not white. Oh wells. Can't be choosy for $2 ramekins! There were white ones, but super small white ramekins. And pie tarts too! Oooh so tempting! But I don't know when I'll make tarts hurhur. Actually I'm still thinking what I should bake using these ramekins. I remember having one of those "I wish I had ramekins right now" moments but I can't remember when. Maybe when I was making lava cake . Daiso is evil. It's so cheap you just feel like coming back again! Oh and did I mention there's a $2 weighing scale?! Measures up to a kilo but that's quite alright for baking isn't it! I mean, $2!! Dirt cheap lah. Not sure about the accuracy though. Didn't do much cleaning last weekend, very much spent lazing around at home just like what weekends should be like. I love being at ho...

Baby Mop

I can't seem to get my entire house clean every weekend, and I am seriously considering this as part of my house cleaning regime: I don't know where to get one, but I can always make one. I saw those yellow cloth thingy at sold at CK store and I'll just fix it to Junior's unwanted rompers. And off he goes mopping the floor with me. Mopping the floor is a must now, especially with lift upgrading going on, the floor is quite dusty. And whenever I hint to Husband to help me mop, he offers to get those weekend helpers instead -_-" Not exactly the answer I was looking for!! Okay. This shall be the project in the coming week! FYI this is not child abuse, this is called getting baby accustomed to housework.