Skip to main content

15 Days & Rendang Minang

Husband's gone for 15 days. Third time in two months, or 22 out of 60 days. That's a whole lot of days.

I usually stay at my mum's when the Husband isn't around especially for long periods, but I decided to stay on our own, and this will be the longest ever with him around. So far I've managed well, though I feel I should be bringing them out more on weekends, but I am just occupied with basic housework stuff. This weekend I shall make an effort to bring them to see Elmo and Cookie Monster. Haha.

The day he went off, he wanted to eat some homecooked meal, and requested for rendang. I already have a rendang recipe from my mum, but we tried the minang version, provided by my friend. I tweaked it a bit, but I will show you the original recipe as well.

Rendang Minang original version

1kg beef
1 litre pati santan
2 tbsp kerisik
1 pc asam keping
2 tbsp gula melaka
2 daun kunyit sliced thinly
3 tbsp cili kisar

Ingredients to blend:
10 red onions
4 cloves garlic
1 inch fresh tumeric
2 inches ginger
1 inch galangal (lengkuas)
4 sticks lemongrass, sliced thinly before mincing
4 candlenut (buah keras)
30-40 cili padi

Rendang Minang my version

1kg beef
500ml coconut cream Kara
2 tbsp kerisik
2 tbsp gula melaka
2 1/2 tsp salt

Ingredients to blend:
3 tbsp worth of cili kisar but I blend together with other ingredients below
7 medium red onions
4 cloves garlic
1 inch fresh tumeric
2 inches ginger
1 inch galangal (lengkuas)
4 sticks lemongrass, sliced thinly before mincing (I kept the stubs for frying)
25 cili padi green one

Fry the 4 lemongrass stubs in oil. Add in the blended ingredients and fry for a while. Add in the meat and fry for about 10 minutes. Add in the coconut cream, kerisik, gula melaka and salt. Pressure cook for 20 minutes.

There's no water needed for this recipe as the liquid coming from the blended ingredients + the coconut cream is enough to submerge the meat in.

I think if I reduce the cili padi further, maybe 20 only, I can reduce the coconut cream. I added only 250ml at first but it was too spicy, so I had to add all 500ml.

Husband really loves this rendang version. I'm surprised there's no ground coriander or cumin. But the result was good, just that the amount of coconut cream is really shocking. Haha. I guess next time I'll use skim coconut milk instead and see how that works out.

Sent off Husband after lunch, and our little baby girl was upset at the airport that I had to hug her for the 2 hours we were at there. She didn't want to say goodbye to her daddy, or hug or wanted to be carried by him. But she did suddenly cried so hard when daddy hugged goodbye. I see the emotional resemblance there  hahaha.

She's okay now, I hope these 15 days will be okay for all of us and will pass by very very fast.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bubur Asyura

Finally made this! Have been wanting to do so cos this porridge has loads of nuts. Not exactly a healthy porridge though since there's coconut milk. I already have most of the ingredients and had the time, so why not! I realise there's different types of bubur Asyura but I settled for the one closest to us, the Johor version . There's a lottt of ingredients, so I'll list in order of which goes into the pot first. I also boiled the mutton a day earlier so I can collect and throw away the fat from the stock. Bubur Asyura Saute: 1 stalk lemongrass 1 cinnamon stick 1 star anise 3 cardamoms 5 cloves 2 big onions, sliced 1 inch ginger, sliced 3 garlic, sliced 10 cups water (half is mutton stock, half water) 1 cup rice, washed 300g mutton, already cooked and shredded 1 tbsp soto powder 1/3 cup dhal, soaked in water for 10 min 1/3 cup peanuts, washed 1 1/2 carrots, diced 1 can chickpeas, washed 1 can kacang pool, washed 1/2 can sweet corn, washed 1 small box coconut milk Heat o...

Daiso Ramekins

Finally finally went to Daiso!! Wanted to go there for ages already! The first thing I came in, went to the cooking section. Found my ramekins! But they're not white. Oh wells. Can't be choosy for $2 ramekins! There were white ones, but super small white ramekins. And pie tarts too! Oooh so tempting! But I don't know when I'll make tarts hurhur. Actually I'm still thinking what I should bake using these ramekins. I remember having one of those "I wish I had ramekins right now" moments but I can't remember when. Maybe when I was making lava cake . Daiso is evil. It's so cheap you just feel like coming back again! Oh and did I mention there's a $2 weighing scale?! Measures up to a kilo but that's quite alright for baking isn't it! I mean, $2!! Dirt cheap lah. Not sure about the accuracy though. Didn't do much cleaning last weekend, very much spent lazing around at home just like what weekends should be like. I love being at ho...

Spicy Tuna Sushi Bake & Teriyaki Chicken Sushi Bake

I failed the first time I made sushi bake, so I was kinda apprehensive about this. Added surimi or imitation crab meat since the kids may not want a fully tuna sushi bake, plus it gives a smoother texture.  The recipe uses full tuna and avocado, so I used this recipe lightly to tweak to my own. Tuna Sushi Bake 1 1/2 cups sushi rice Sushi vinegar as per the bottle's instructions 3 chunky tuna cans (Ayam brand) 1 packet of imitation crab meat, boiled and shredded 5 tbsp Japanese mayo 1 tbsp sriracha sauce 3 tbsp mentaiko mayo Teriyaki Chicken Sushi Bake 1 1/2 cups sushi rice Sushi vinegar as per the bottle's instructions 500g chicken boneless thigh, cut into small pieces 1 inch ginger, pound Teriyaki sauce for marinate and for frying Season the top with furikake, sliced seaweed, Japanese mayo and mentaiko mayo. These are a must. Broil or grill for about 8 minutes. These turn out yummy! All the Japanese ingredients were bought on Shopee, from a Malaysian provider.