Skip to main content

Sunday Cookout

Yesterday was one of those days I was really hardworking in the kitchen. Cooked Junior's broccoli soup and got started on my beef rendang. I wanted to try cooking pulut kuning using the rice cooker, what rendang compliments pulut kuning beautifully.

My SIL just got back from Bandung and I requested this from her! Haha.


Have no idea what it's called, but on the packet it says "sale pisang". I love it a lot but can't seem to find it here. This beats getting cloth or clothes as presents haha! She gave me 5 packets summore. I'm a happy girl! :)

Anyway back to rendang. Husband requested the addition of kerisik, though I don't know how that will help except bring more fats in :/ I still stuck to my mum's recipe because I refuse to try others hahaha. Once that was about done, I started on the glutinous rice. I tried the recipe from here, and I think I should have reduced the amount of coconut cream and replaced with water.

Pulut Kuning Rice Cooker

1 cup glutinous rice
200ml coconut cream + topped up with hot water = 2 cups
2 pandan leaves
1 tsp salt


Ta-da! The end product. Cooked surprisingly fast. Not bad for an express version hahaha. Won't mind making it again when I'm not troubled by the amount of santan I consume in this one meal.

In the afternoon, Junior and I had time to kill and he wanted to bake, so strawberry financiers (sort of) it was! I had 2 punnets of strawberries to finish, and this is probably the best way ever! I wanted to retry the strawberry cake but I was too lazy to make strawberry syrup and puree.

I could also make use of my ground almonds that have been sitting in my freezer for quite some time. I tried this recipe from Tesco and it turned out great! I know financiers use the special moulds, and use egg whites only but I didn't want to keep leftover yolks so I used them too. So it's sort of a butter almond cake in the end. And since I didn't want to get financier pans, I used my big muffin tray instead. I let Junior scoop and fill the cups, and the batter fits into 1 muffin pan.

Strawberry Financiers (what I used)

112g butter
25g flour
125g ground almonds
100g sugar
2 eggs
200g strawberries, chopped

Melt the butter until golden brown and milk solids form. I didn't wait till it was brown cos the butter was popping everywhere ahhahaha. But still good stuff though. Mix the flour, ground almonds, sugar in a large bowl. Add in the cooled melted butter and eggs and mix well. Finally mix in the strawberries.

Bake at 170 degrees Celsius for about 28 minutes, depending on the size of your financiers. Mine were thick and tall so I used 28 minutes.


These turned out so yummy especially when it's fresh from the oven! I don't like the look of baked strawberries because they lose colour, but it becomes sweeter and the juice is still there, making this a moist almond cake. I love almond butter cakes! I don't mind making this again, such a good treat for breakfast!

**Update: Even the Husband loves this! He doesn't eat fruits especially sour ones like strawberries but this he says he can eat. Yay! I think I can make more so that I can feed him some fibre. Hurhur.**

Oh and I just came back from a check up, seems like I'm clear of gestational diabetes yahoo!! But that doesn't mean I can eat everything I want. Still need to monitor my diet. The doctor says it's good that I don't have diabetes even though my baby is big, she says it'll reduce the damage during childbirth. I might have to be induced earlier though if she continues to grow grow grow hahaha. But nevertheless I'm happy! :) I have been skiving on my healthy meals for the past few days, time to restart again!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Daiso Ramekins

Finally finally went to Daiso!! Wanted to go there for ages already! The first thing I came in, went to the cooking section. Found my ramekins! But they're not white. Oh wells. Can't be choosy for $2 ramekins! There were white ones, but super small white ramekins. And pie tarts too! Oooh so tempting! But I don't know when I'll make tarts hurhur. Actually I'm still thinking what I should bake using these ramekins. I remember having one of those "I wish I had ramekins right now" moments but I can't remember when. Maybe when I was making lava cake . Daiso is evil. It's so cheap you just feel like coming back again! Oh and did I mention there's a $2 weighing scale?! Measures up to a kilo but that's quite alright for baking isn't it! I mean, $2!! Dirt cheap lah. Not sure about the accuracy though. Didn't do much cleaning last weekend, very much spent lazing around at home just like what weekends should be like. I love being at ho

Apam Balik

I love apam balik. The soft one, with lots of corn. So when @khairulaming posted this on his instagram, I bookmarked it. The recipe is not too much until you get sick of eating apam balik, but I do feel it needs some tweaks to get the pancake king version. But not bad for a first try. 2 cups flour 1/2 cup sugar 1 tsp baking powder 1/2 tsp baking soda 2 tbsp melted butter 1 1/4 cups water 1 egg Additional butter for the pan I do feel it needs some salt, more sugar and I shouldn't have liberally made it so thick HAHA. The pan is important too, I kinda burnt some parts of the pancake. Got them bubbles!! This recipe made 2 large pancakes. Also, the filling needs to be sprinkled with sugar liberally (read: 3 tbsp or so), my first try wasn't enough. Pancake was soft even for the next few days after that (kept in the fridge then reheated in the microwave). Husband found it to be acceptable, but I was kinda not okay with it but ohwells. I can tweak it

Rice Cooker Chicken Mushroom Claypot

All in one pot cooking, what's not to love!  Got this off tiktok, but I figured the chicken and mushroom in the recipe isn't enough. Wasn't really one pot cooking cos I cooked half of the chicken on a pan then added it later after the rice cooker was done. Rice Cooker Claypot Chicken marinade: 600g boneless thigh, cut into cubes 6 garlic, pound 2 inch ginger, pound 6 tbsp soy sauce 2 tbsp oyster sauce 4 tbsp sweet soy sauce Rice: Half of the chicken marinade above 2 1/2 cups rice 2 1/2 cups water 3 tbsp sesame oil 2 tbsp soy sauce 1 1/2 chicken cube (maybe 2 also can) 300g shitake mushrooms Coriander leaves, cut Spring onions, cut Marinate the chicken and leave it for about 30 min. Wash the rice. Add half the chicken marinade and all other ingredients into the rice cooker and mix well Cook using rice cooker. I cooked the remaining chicken over the stove and added the chicken, juices and all, into the rice cooker when it was just about done and needed a few minutes to set. M