Skip to main content

Mum's Banana Cake

Good morning!

Not the best of mornings. I have this irritating woozy feeling lingering somewhere in my head. Or eyes. Don't really know which is the cause.

Weekend was kinda okay. I made Husband-approved banana cake with chocolate chips! Haha. I wanted to use the leftover yoghurt but it seems that Husband threw it away already so I had to do with milk + vinegar.

I went back to my mum's trusty banana recipe and I got it right this time! Previously I didn't, so I made changes and used another recipe too, but I was determined to get back the soft fluffy banana cake (not banana bread) that I grew up with. It's difficult to find a real banana cake recipe because most are banana bread, but I want the soft and moist cake, not a cake full of flour.

This time round, I took my time creaming the butter with sugar, and then with eggs till I got the right consistency of air in the cake. I used self raising flour too and I sieved it. The result is just like my mum's cake yay!

I have since memorised the recipe, so here it is:
250g butter, room temperature
8 oz self raising flour, sieved
6 oz sugar
4 bananas, smashed (I think you can up this to a max of 6)
3 eggs (original calls for 2, but if your eggs are small so use 3)
1 cup milk + 1 tbsp vinegar
Dark chocolate coverture chips!

Cream the butter with sugar till butter is a light yellow. Add in eggs one at a time and mixing well before adding the next one. This step is important so your cake will rise. I love the texture of butter + sugar + egg batter! Add in flour bit by bit and mix well. Add in the fake yoghurt mixture and then bananas and choc chips if you want some chocolate in your cake.

Chocolate and bananas are a perfect match!

Bake in an 8 by 8 inch square pan for 50 minutes or so at 170 degrees Celsius.

I don't have pictures but this is really worth a try :)

In other news, I really REALLY need to start exercising again. Growing old + slowdown in breastfeeding is making my metabolism really low and I've put on weight in places I thought I never would. It's alarming. And probably my increase in weight is affecting my chances of getting another baby. Oh wells.

Hope to hit the gym today!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Daiso Ramekins

Finally finally went to Daiso!! Wanted to go there for ages already! The first thing I came in, went to the cooking section. Found my ramekins! But they're not white. Oh wells. Can't be choosy for $2 ramekins! There were white ones, but super small white ramekins. And pie tarts too! Oooh so tempting! But I don't know when I'll make tarts hurhur. Actually I'm still thinking what I should bake using these ramekins. I remember having one of those "I wish I had ramekins right now" moments but I can't remember when. Maybe when I was making lava cake . Daiso is evil. It's so cheap you just feel like coming back again! Oh and did I mention there's a $2 weighing scale?! Measures up to a kilo but that's quite alright for baking isn't it! I mean, $2!! Dirt cheap lah. Not sure about the accuracy though. Didn't do much cleaning last weekend, very much spent lazing around at home just like what weekends should be like. I love being at ho

Apam Balik

I love apam balik. The soft one, with lots of corn. So when @khairulaming posted this on his instagram, I bookmarked it. The recipe is not too much until you get sick of eating apam balik, but I do feel it needs some tweaks to get the pancake king version. But not bad for a first try. 2 cups flour 1/2 cup sugar 1 tsp baking powder 1/2 tsp baking soda 2 tbsp melted butter 1 1/4 cups water 1 egg Additional butter for the pan I do feel it needs some salt, more sugar and I shouldn't have liberally made it so thick HAHA. The pan is important too, I kinda burnt some parts of the pancake. Got them bubbles!! This recipe made 2 large pancakes. Also, the filling needs to be sprinkled with sugar liberally (read: 3 tbsp or so), my first try wasn't enough. Pancake was soft even for the next few days after that (kept in the fridge then reheated in the microwave). Husband found it to be acceptable, but I was kinda not okay with it but ohwells. I can tweak it

Rice Cooker Chicken Mushroom Claypot

All in one pot cooking, what's not to love!  Got this off tiktok, but I figured the chicken and mushroom in the recipe isn't enough. Wasn't really one pot cooking cos I cooked half of the chicken on a pan then added it later after the rice cooker was done. Rice Cooker Claypot Chicken marinade: 600g boneless thigh, cut into cubes 6 garlic, pound 2 inch ginger, pound 6 tbsp soy sauce 2 tbsp oyster sauce 4 tbsp sweet soy sauce Rice: Half of the chicken marinade above 2 1/2 cups rice 2 1/2 cups water 3 tbsp sesame oil 2 tbsp soy sauce 1 1/2 chicken cube (maybe 2 also can) 300g shitake mushrooms Coriander leaves, cut Spring onions, cut Marinate the chicken and leave it for about 30 min. Wash the rice. Add half the chicken marinade and all other ingredients into the rice cooker and mix well Cook using rice cooker. I cooked the remaining chicken over the stove and added the chicken, juices and all, into the rice cooker when it was just about done and needed a few minutes to set. M