Skip to main content

Lemon Curd

I'm scared of making things all eggs. Some sort of phobia. Like my egg tart disaster. And my never ending fear of whipping egg whites, be in for a cake, or for frosting. Because no matter how many recipes you read, you still need to see and feel what custards, stiff peaks, ribbon stage looks like.

Yesterday night, I was just randomly staring at my fridge and I decided to check my egg yolks. There were 10 perfectly round yolks on Friday, but yesterday a couple had already burst. I sorta panicked, what a waste of 10 eggs! Didn't have any odour so I guess they were still edible. Since I have lemons on hand, why not start the lemon curd project! After all both my boys were asleep, boy #1 won't be nagging at why I'm making baking stuff again, boy #2 won't be clinging to me. Perfect.


Zested 4 lemons, juiced, and I'm all set!

I didn't use any particular recipe, cos at that moment I wanted to get it done asap. The latest recipe I had opened in my iPhone's browser was the Classic Lemon Curd from americanfood.com. I didn't bother to use exactly the recipe, so I adapted as I went.

Here's what I used:
10 egg yolks
8 tbsp vanilla sugar (I think I should have used more)
Zest of 4 lemons (looks like 1 tsp only actually)
Juice of 4 lemons (a bit more than half cup?)
About half cup water
100g butter, cubed

Whisk the yolks, sugar and water and put it over medium heat in a saucepan. Keep whisking until it turns from shiny yellow to thick-matte-yellow curd! This takes about 5 minutes for mine. Stir some more for about 2 minutes before taking the saucepan away from the heat. Add cubed butter one by one into the curd and mix well. Pour into a jar and refrigerate!

Had a bit of the lemon curd with the last leftover cupcake this morning, and it was good! VERY refreshing. But only for citrus lovers like myself. I don't think my husband will appreciate haha.

Notes for improvement:
  1. At first I immediately removed the saucepan from the stove once the custard formed, added butter and left to cool, but I realise there was a layer of transparent fluid at the top so I transferred to the stove again for a further 2 minutes of cooking. I didn't get the layer after that.
  2. I can afford to add in more sugar! Or maybe reduce the lemon because it is very citrusy! You can't eat by spoonfuls for this one. Haha.
  3. Use a smaller whisk. Some of my sugar got stuck at the sides and were not incorporated and hence I had patches of burnt sugar -__-
  4. Buy a proper lemon zester. I have the 3 in one grater, 3 different sides of graters in a pyramid and it's not very good at removing zested lemon. I end up having half of the zest stuck at the grater. Sigh.
Okay now I'm a little bit more confident to make curds, I would really love to make passionfruit curd one day! Love passionfruit curd in cupcake fillings haha.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Daiso Ramekins

Finally finally went to Daiso!! Wanted to go there for ages already! The first thing I came in, went to the cooking section. Found my ramekins! But they're not white. Oh wells. Can't be choosy for $2 ramekins! There were white ones, but super small white ramekins. And pie tarts too! Oooh so tempting! But I don't know when I'll make tarts hurhur. Actually I'm still thinking what I should bake using these ramekins. I remember having one of those "I wish I had ramekins right now" moments but I can't remember when. Maybe when I was making lava cake . Daiso is evil. It's so cheap you just feel like coming back again! Oh and did I mention there's a $2 weighing scale?! Measures up to a kilo but that's quite alright for baking isn't it! I mean, $2!! Dirt cheap lah. Not sure about the accuracy though. Didn't do much cleaning last weekend, very much spent lazing around at home just like what weekends should be like. I love being at ho

Apam Balik

I love apam balik. The soft one, with lots of corn. So when @khairulaming posted this on his instagram, I bookmarked it. The recipe is not too much until you get sick of eating apam balik, but I do feel it needs some tweaks to get the pancake king version. But not bad for a first try. 2 cups flour 1/2 cup sugar 1 tsp baking powder 1/2 tsp baking soda 2 tbsp melted butter 1 1/4 cups water 1 egg Additional butter for the pan I do feel it needs some salt, more sugar and I shouldn't have liberally made it so thick HAHA. The pan is important too, I kinda burnt some parts of the pancake. Got them bubbles!! This recipe made 2 large pancakes. Also, the filling needs to be sprinkled with sugar liberally (read: 3 tbsp or so), my first try wasn't enough. Pancake was soft even for the next few days after that (kept in the fridge then reheated in the microwave). Husband found it to be acceptable, but I was kinda not okay with it but ohwells. I can tweak it

Rice Cooker Chicken Mushroom Claypot

All in one pot cooking, what's not to love!  Got this off tiktok, but I figured the chicken and mushroom in the recipe isn't enough. Wasn't really one pot cooking cos I cooked half of the chicken on a pan then added it later after the rice cooker was done. Rice Cooker Claypot Chicken marinade: 600g boneless thigh, cut into cubes 6 garlic, pound 2 inch ginger, pound 6 tbsp soy sauce 2 tbsp oyster sauce 4 tbsp sweet soy sauce Rice: Half of the chicken marinade above 2 1/2 cups rice 2 1/2 cups water 3 tbsp sesame oil 2 tbsp soy sauce 1 1/2 chicken cube (maybe 2 also can) 300g shitake mushrooms Coriander leaves, cut Spring onions, cut Marinate the chicken and leave it for about 30 min. Wash the rice. Add half the chicken marinade and all other ingredients into the rice cooker and mix well Cook using rice cooker. I cooked the remaining chicken over the stove and added the chicken, juices and all, into the rice cooker when it was just about done and needed a few minutes to set. M