Skip to main content

Japanese Strawberry Shortcake

Yesterday was my brother's 26th birthday and he requested for a strawberry shortcake. Not strawberry cheesecake or some other cake, but strawberry shortcake. The Japanese one, to be precise.

So I hunted for recipes and decided on this recipe by La Fuji Mama because it has pictures to follow. I was a bit skeptical and scared to try because it's a cake without artificial leavening agent and I haven't done any cake that uses whisked egg whites. What if the cake doesn't rise!!

The cake did rise, but not enough cos the bottom fell flat. Maybe I should have baked in 2 tins instead of 1 cos the top was fluffy enough.

I had another problem as well. The whipped cream frosting that totally failed. Maybe I didn't do the gelatin properly? It's my first time handling gelatin as well! Omg so many firsts!

Here's the recipe:

For Noriko’s sponge cake:
4 large eggs, white and yolks separated
4.2 ounces (120 grams, 9.5 tablespoons) granulated sugar, sifted once
3 tablespoons milk, at room temperature
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
4.2 ounces (120 grams, 14 tablespoons) cake flour, sifted 3 times
1.2 ounces (22 grams, 2.3 tablespoons) butter, melted

For the stabilized whipped cream frosting:
1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
4 teaspoons cold water
1 cup cold heavy whipping cream
1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

For the simple syrup:
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup water

To make Noriko’s Sponge Cake:
  1. Preheat the oven to 170 degrees Celsius.  Grease a 7-inch circular cake pan with butter. I should have used an 8 inch pan instead.
  2. Add the sugar to the egg whites, and beat the egg whites until they are stiff and glossy.
  3. Add the egg yolks to the egg white mixture, and gently whisk until the yolks are incorporated.
  4. Add the milk, vanilla extract, and flour (in that order) to the batter and gently fold them into the batter with a spatula. Fold in the melted butter until it is well combined.
  5. Pour the cake batter into the prepared cake pan, and get rid of any air bubbles in the batter by dropping the pan on a counter once or twice. Bake the cake for 30 minutes (for 7 inch pan). Let the cake cool completely. 
To make the Stabilized Whipped Cream Frosting:
  1. Put the cold water in a small saucepan. Sprinkle the gelatin over the surface of the water and let stand for 5 minutes (do not stir). Place the saucepan over low heat and stir constantly with a wooden spoon just until the gelatin dissolves. Remove the saucepan from the heat and cool to room temperature. I think I didn't let it cool enough, or I heat it too much when allowing the gelatin to dissolve.
  2. In a mixing bowl, combine the whipping cream, sugar, and vanilla and beat until slightly thickened. I think I didn't beat enough! Boo. 
  3. Then, while beating slowly, gradually pour the gelatin into the whipped cream mixture. Then whip the mixture at high speed until stiff.
To make the Simple Syrup:
  1. In a medium saucepan combine the sugar and water. Bring the water to a boil, stirring, until sugar has dissolved. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
I was happy when I saw the cake rise in the oven, but it didn't rise enough. As a result, the bottom third was thick. Maybe I didn't whisk the egg whites long enough that when I mixed in the flour etc, some of the whisked eggs deflated.



Then the whipped cream. Letting gelatin bloom was okay, heated it up and immediately it dissolved. I added to the 'whipped' cream which I now suspect wasn't whipped enough, then I left to wash some dishes and when I checked, the horror! It became clumps! I was sooo sad. Luckily there's remaining whipped cream which I didn't bother to whip, I just mixed with confectioner's sugar and poured over the strawberries haha.

 
The cake out of the oven. Was so happy to see it rise until...
 
 
See! Deflated a little. Sobsob.
 
 
The end product haha. Taste-wise, it's good, but because of my errors, it turned out ugly and the bottom could really do with better baking.
 
 
Oh wells! Now that I know how to whisk egg whites and make a cake with such little butter, I'm more confident to try out again. Maybe get myself an angel cake tin to make chiffon cakes too!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Daiso Ramekins

Finally finally went to Daiso!! Wanted to go there for ages already! The first thing I came in, went to the cooking section. Found my ramekins! But they're not white. Oh wells. Can't be choosy for $2 ramekins! There were white ones, but super small white ramekins. And pie tarts too! Oooh so tempting! But I don't know when I'll make tarts hurhur. Actually I'm still thinking what I should bake using these ramekins. I remember having one of those "I wish I had ramekins right now" moments but I can't remember when. Maybe when I was making lava cake . Daiso is evil. It's so cheap you just feel like coming back again! Oh and did I mention there's a $2 weighing scale?! Measures up to a kilo but that's quite alright for baking isn't it! I mean, $2!! Dirt cheap lah. Not sure about the accuracy though. Didn't do much cleaning last weekend, very much spent lazing around at home just like what weekends should be like. I love being at ho

Apam Balik

I love apam balik. The soft one, with lots of corn. So when @khairulaming posted this on his instagram, I bookmarked it. The recipe is not too much until you get sick of eating apam balik, but I do feel it needs some tweaks to get the pancake king version. But not bad for a first try. 2 cups flour 1/2 cup sugar 1 tsp baking powder 1/2 tsp baking soda 2 tbsp melted butter 1 1/4 cups water 1 egg Additional butter for the pan I do feel it needs some salt, more sugar and I shouldn't have liberally made it so thick HAHA. The pan is important too, I kinda burnt some parts of the pancake. Got them bubbles!! This recipe made 2 large pancakes. Also, the filling needs to be sprinkled with sugar liberally (read: 3 tbsp or so), my first try wasn't enough. Pancake was soft even for the next few days after that (kept in the fridge then reheated in the microwave). Husband found it to be acceptable, but I was kinda not okay with it but ohwells. I can tweak it

Rice Cooker Chicken Mushroom Claypot

All in one pot cooking, what's not to love!  Got this off tiktok, but I figured the chicken and mushroom in the recipe isn't enough. Wasn't really one pot cooking cos I cooked half of the chicken on a pan then added it later after the rice cooker was done. Rice Cooker Claypot Chicken marinade: 600g boneless thigh, cut into cubes 6 garlic, pound 2 inch ginger, pound 6 tbsp soy sauce 2 tbsp oyster sauce 4 tbsp sweet soy sauce Rice: Half of the chicken marinade above 2 1/2 cups rice 2 1/2 cups water 3 tbsp sesame oil 2 tbsp soy sauce 1 1/2 chicken cube (maybe 2 also can) 300g shitake mushrooms Coriander leaves, cut Spring onions, cut Marinate the chicken and leave it for about 30 min. Wash the rice. Add half the chicken marinade and all other ingredients into the rice cooker and mix well Cook using rice cooker. I cooked the remaining chicken over the stove and added the chicken, juices and all, into the rice cooker when it was just about done and needed a few minutes to set. M