Skip to main content

Buttermilk Adventures

Been a long while since I blogged. Made red velvet cupcakes for sister-in-law's birthday yesterday! Decided to try a different recipe, one which doesn't use butter. Reason being I didn't want to wait to thaw the butter hurhur. Anyway below will be a whole lot of buttermilk recipes cos I have a carton of buttermilk. Haha.

Went to Universal Studios before that, with my family. There were too many people cos there were 2 family days there, one my dad's and another is a big shipping co. The waiting time is seriously crazy. We gave Transformers a miss. It rained too, in the afternoon. Thank goodness we weren't at at queue for outdoor rides.

Anyway not much time to blog so here's the red velvets! It's a really moist cake, I read the reviews and some people found it too oily but I think it's perfect cos I hate dry cakes. I came across this when I was googling for "red velvet cupcakes oil". The tips were good, and turns out it's Paula Deen's recipe for red velvet! Perfect, southern and a butter lover muahahaha. Confirm not a dry cake. And I didn't know that using oil will yield a moist cake, all the better! Healthier too! I decided to ditch my wooden ladle for this and used the handheld electric mixer as per the instructions.

Paula Deen's Red Velvet Cupcakes from Food Network

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
1 cup buttermilk
2 eggs
2 tablespoons red food coloring
1 teaspoon vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
  1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
  2. In a medium mixing bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder.
  3. In a large bowl gently beat together the oil, buttermilk, eggs, food coloring, vinegar, and vanilla with a handheld electric mixer. Add the sifted dry ingredients to the wet and mix until smooth and thoroughly combined.
  4. Divide the batter evenly among the cupcake tins about 2/3 filled (This, must follow!). Bake in oven for about 20 minutes. Test the cupcakes with a toothpick for doneness. Remove from oven and cool completely before frosting.
For the Cream Cheese Frosting

1 pound cream cheese, softened
1 stick butter, softened (I reduced from 2 to 1. I don't like buttery soft frosting)
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
3 cups sifted confectioners' sugar (I didn't measure this cos I emptied out the remaining sugar in the container, but I'm guessing about 3 cups. Reduced from 4 to 3)

In a large mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter and vanilla together until smooth. Add the sugar and on low speed, beat until incorporated. Increase the speed to high and mix until very light and fluffy.



The cupcakes turned out really fluffy and wonderful, though it could use a little bit more sugar. But then since it is going to have frosting, I can ditch that thought. Really loved it! I think I prefer this to the other red velvet recipe I tried, Moist Red Velvet Cupcakes by The Alchemist. It is really easy to make, and I totally skipped the flour-milk-alternating method. No photo of after-frosting cos I did it at night and wanted to get it over and done with before the Junior complains I ignore him haha.

Now for some random fotos of Junior :)


Junior's domesticated adventures, going to NTUC with mama.

I let him walk around on his own and he followed me so all's good. And this was at 7.30am in the morning, not many people around. He doesn't like to walk when there's a crowd. Junior's big enough to know what he wants, and he picked out his usual baby food and with Vitagen too haha. Babies grow up so fast :)

And another domesticated adventure, baking muffins! This was the previous weekend, I allowed him to bake muffins with me, which meant that I have a whole lot of mess to clean up. We sat on the floor, making it easier to clean but wiping off batter from the floor and his arms and legs aren't as easy as I thought. But it was really fun and I could see him having fun mixing using the wooden ladle, I'll do one again with you k baby? :)


This is the blueberry/chocolate chip muffin Junior & I made, from Joy of Baking. It makes use of buttermilk (so do the red velvet) and I have some so why not.

Here's the recipe:
2 1/2 cups (325 grams) all-purpose flour
3/4 cup (150 grams) granulated white sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 large egg, lightly beaten (I used 2 normal eggs)
1 cup (240 ml) buttermilk
1/2 cup (120 ml) canola oil
1 teaspoon pure vanilla essence
1 cup blueberries + 1 cup chocolate chips

Mix dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl, wet ingredients in a medium mixing bowl, then add wet to dry, mix well and voila!I divided the batter into 2 and one made blueberry muffins, the other chocolate chip muffins. Bake at 190 degrees Celsius for about 25 minutes.

The muffins are okay, not such a favourite but still yummy nonetheless.

Here's the last buttermilk food, banana pancakes!


Sorry no recipe here cos I was just throwing in this and that and I got yummy pancakes. I tried again the following day but it wasn't the same. Sigh. Ate it with Nutella hurhur.

Okay that's all! Till more food adventures!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bubur Asyura

Finally made this! Have been wanting to do so cos this porridge has loads of nuts. Not exactly a healthy porridge though since there's coconut milk. I already have most of the ingredients and had the time, so why not! I realise there's different types of bubur Asyura but I settled for the one closest to us, the Johor version . There's a lottt of ingredients, so I'll list in order of which goes into the pot first. I also boiled the mutton a day earlier so I can collect and throw away the fat from the stock. Bubur Asyura Saute: 1 stalk lemongrass 1 cinnamon stick 1 star anise 3 cardamoms 5 cloves 2 big onions, sliced 1 inch ginger, sliced 3 garlic, sliced 10 cups water (half is mutton stock, half water) 1 cup rice, washed 300g mutton, already cooked and shredded 1 tbsp soto powder 1/3 cup dhal, soaked in water for 10 min 1/3 cup peanuts, washed 1 1/2 carrots, diced 1 can chickpeas, washed 1 can kacang pool, washed 1/2 can sweet corn, washed 1 small box coconut milk Heat o...

Daiso Ramekins

Finally finally went to Daiso!! Wanted to go there for ages already! The first thing I came in, went to the cooking section. Found my ramekins! But they're not white. Oh wells. Can't be choosy for $2 ramekins! There were white ones, but super small white ramekins. And pie tarts too! Oooh so tempting! But I don't know when I'll make tarts hurhur. Actually I'm still thinking what I should bake using these ramekins. I remember having one of those "I wish I had ramekins right now" moments but I can't remember when. Maybe when I was making lava cake . Daiso is evil. It's so cheap you just feel like coming back again! Oh and did I mention there's a $2 weighing scale?! Measures up to a kilo but that's quite alright for baking isn't it! I mean, $2!! Dirt cheap lah. Not sure about the accuracy though. Didn't do much cleaning last weekend, very much spent lazing around at home just like what weekends should be like. I love being at ho...

Spicy Tuna Sushi Bake & Teriyaki Chicken Sushi Bake

I failed the first time I made sushi bake, so I was kinda apprehensive about this. Added surimi or imitation crab meat since the kids may not want a fully tuna sushi bake, plus it gives a smoother texture.  The recipe uses full tuna and avocado, so I used this recipe lightly to tweak to my own. Tuna Sushi Bake 1 1/2 cups sushi rice Sushi vinegar as per the bottle's instructions 3 chunky tuna cans (Ayam brand) 1 packet of imitation crab meat, boiled and shredded 5 tbsp Japanese mayo 1 tbsp sriracha sauce 3 tbsp mentaiko mayo Teriyaki Chicken Sushi Bake 1 1/2 cups sushi rice Sushi vinegar as per the bottle's instructions 500g chicken boneless thigh, cut into small pieces 1 inch ginger, pound Teriyaki sauce for marinate and for frying Season the top with furikake, sliced seaweed, Japanese mayo and mentaiko mayo. These are a must. Broil or grill for about 8 minutes. These turn out yummy! All the Japanese ingredients were bought on Shopee, from a Malaysian provider.