Skip to main content

Hari Raya Lemon Buttermilk Bundt Cake

It's raya!! A bit more on that when I have transferred photos from my camera, but for now! Cake!

I decided to make lemon bundt cake last Friday while we were also in the midst of sprucing up the house for Hari Raya. I have been itching to make a cake for the longest time, and I have my cake flour and all ready to go. I had lots of cake choices because of my neverending baking ingredients, I could make blueberry cake, or marble cake, or just plain butter cake, or butter almond cake, but in the end I settled for lemon bundt because of my leftover lemons from like ages ago. I was surprised I could still use them! One had been zested and was sitting in my plastic container and somehow the lemon juice was still in there somewhere, and another hasn't been zested so perfect!

I dug up my previous bundt recipe, and here's what I used this time round:

3 cups cake flour, sifted
2 cups vanilla sugar (normal sugar would be sufficient)
250g butter, softened
2 tsp baking powder
4 eggs
1 cup buttermilk (milk + 1 tsp vinegar)
Zest of 1 lemon
1/4 cup lemon juice
  1. Cream the butter and sugar. I made this cake by hand, no cake mixer. Mix in the eggs, one at a time till combined.
  2. Mix in the flour in thirds, alternating with half of the buttermilk. So it's 1/3 flour, 1/2 buttermilk, 1/3 flour, 1/2 buttermilk, 1/3 flour.
  3. Add in the lemon zest and lemon juice and mix well.
  4. Transfer to a well greased & floured bundt pan. I didn't fill my 10 cup bundt pan to the brim, left some batter in a 7 inch pan so I can give that to my mum. 
  5. Bake at 170 degrees Celsius for about 45 minutes for the bundt, about 30-40 minutes for the 7-inch pan cake.


Cake batter awaiting its turn in the oven. I added some slivered almonds and it was a yummy addition!


Lemon bundt in my favourite heritage bundt pan yay!! The crust doesn't look so brown but the cake is done.


Here it is in it's swirly glory! I always have an inertia to cut this cake. It looks too perfect on its own.


Yummy tight crumbs, like pound cake! I think now I know the difference of using cake flour and plain flour. Love how this turned out! And the lemon flavour is just so refreshing! Totally would make this again. Lemons, you're gonna be a must-buy item for my fridge!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Daiso Ramekins

Finally finally went to Daiso!! Wanted to go there for ages already! The first thing I came in, went to the cooking section. Found my ramekins! But they're not white. Oh wells. Can't be choosy for $2 ramekins! There were white ones, but super small white ramekins. And pie tarts too! Oooh so tempting! But I don't know when I'll make tarts hurhur. Actually I'm still thinking what I should bake using these ramekins. I remember having one of those "I wish I had ramekins right now" moments but I can't remember when. Maybe when I was making lava cake . Daiso is evil. It's so cheap you just feel like coming back again! Oh and did I mention there's a $2 weighing scale?! Measures up to a kilo but that's quite alright for baking isn't it! I mean, $2!! Dirt cheap lah. Not sure about the accuracy though. Didn't do much cleaning last weekend, very much spent lazing around at home just like what weekends should be like. I love being at ho

Apam Balik

I love apam balik. The soft one, with lots of corn. So when @khairulaming posted this on his instagram, I bookmarked it. The recipe is not too much until you get sick of eating apam balik, but I do feel it needs some tweaks to get the pancake king version. But not bad for a first try. 2 cups flour 1/2 cup sugar 1 tsp baking powder 1/2 tsp baking soda 2 tbsp melted butter 1 1/4 cups water 1 egg Additional butter for the pan I do feel it needs some salt, more sugar and I shouldn't have liberally made it so thick HAHA. The pan is important too, I kinda burnt some parts of the pancake. Got them bubbles!! This recipe made 2 large pancakes. Also, the filling needs to be sprinkled with sugar liberally (read: 3 tbsp or so), my first try wasn't enough. Pancake was soft even for the next few days after that (kept in the fridge then reheated in the microwave). Husband found it to be acceptable, but I was kinda not okay with it but ohwells. I can tweak it

Rice Cooker Chicken Mushroom Claypot

All in one pot cooking, what's not to love!  Got this off tiktok, but I figured the chicken and mushroom in the recipe isn't enough. Wasn't really one pot cooking cos I cooked half of the chicken on a pan then added it later after the rice cooker was done. Rice Cooker Claypot Chicken marinade: 600g boneless thigh, cut into cubes 6 garlic, pound 2 inch ginger, pound 6 tbsp soy sauce 2 tbsp oyster sauce 4 tbsp sweet soy sauce Rice: Half of the chicken marinade above 2 1/2 cups rice 2 1/2 cups water 3 tbsp sesame oil 2 tbsp soy sauce 1 1/2 chicken cube (maybe 2 also can) 300g shitake mushrooms Coriander leaves, cut Spring onions, cut Marinate the chicken and leave it for about 30 min. Wash the rice. Add half the chicken marinade and all other ingredients into the rice cooker and mix well Cook using rice cooker. I cooked the remaining chicken over the stove and added the chicken, juices and all, into the rice cooker when it was just about done and needed a few minutes to set. M