Skip to main content

Weekend Cookout


Weekend was filled with cooking! Okay I cheated on Sunday cos we went my mum's house to cook haha, but Saturday itself was tiring enough!

Invited in-laws ++ over for Husband's famous chicken rice and I made sago gula melaka. MIL made sweet sour fish too which was yummy! We wanted to make stir fry vege but at the last minute our stove's spark wasn't working!! Like wth! Oh wells. Luckily the chicken is all cooked! Maybe I'll make the stir fry today for sahur. So after 2 pots of rice, two kilos of chicken fried, three times of boiling sago, 5 big bottles of bandung, we ended up with one messy kitchen but it was all worth it! I am so fortunate to have a husband that cooks well :)

Then we went to Geylang after that. Ha. The mandatory, not-my-fave-place-to-visit bazaar. And time flew while we were there! We didn't realise it was almost midnight! Poor Junior fell asleep in his pram :( I wasn't in any shopping mood at all because I was worried about Junior. Anyway! We got for him 1 set of baju kurung, kain samping and capal! No songkok though cos he really really hates to put anything on his head.


Junior trying out his Hari Raya outfit haha! Too cute :) We'll be in dark blue, but I realise all our blues don't match -_-" Oh wells.

Sunday we celebrated my sister's birthday, had lotsa food and mango cheesecake from Eatzi which was totally yummy!! She specifically requested for a mango cheesecake, but most shops don't sell those. Thankfully Eatzi does and it's just nearby! Yummy ok! Light, creamy sweet cheesecake. I think my family will be ordering more cakes from them.

Oh! And Junior is officially walking already! He turns 13 months today :) Seeing him wobbling while walking is just pure joy. We went Giant on Saturday and we sat him in the trolley's child seat, but after a while he wasn't happy so I took him out and carried him, and after a few minutes he started fidgeting again! Turns out he wanted to walk haha. So I let him stand, and he pushed the trolley haha.


He's such a big boy now, little Junior's growing up :)

Here's the recipe for sago gula melaka, but you could reduce the gula and coconut cream portion cos I have leftovers. No photos not even iPhone's cos I was in a hurry.

Sago Gula Melaka

1 pack small sago, washed
300g gula melaka, chopped
2 small cartons (90ml each) Kara coconut cream
2 pandan leaves
Pinch of salt (I excluded, but I'd imagine it'll be yummy)
  1. Boil a big potful of water. Once water is boiling, pour a third or half of the sago pearls in. Do note that if water isn't boiling, the sago will stick to the bottom. Cover the pot, let it boil for about 15 minutes or until the white pearls are colourless. I repeated this three times to get all sago to be boiled.
  2. Drain the sago pearls, and transfer to containers of choice to let them cool and take shape. I used about 10 ramekins,3/4 filled. Refrigerate once cooled.
  3. Melt the gula melaka in low heat with 3/4 cup of water, not covering the pot. Once all sugar has melted, you'll end up with gula melaka syrup.
  4. Heat the coconut cream in a pot, with a little water and salt and the pandan leaves tied in a knot. Once boiled, get it off the stove.
I find that with one ramekin of sago pearls, you only need 1 to 1 1/2 tbsp of syrup, with 1 tbsp of coconut cream. Which means I'm left with lotsa coconut cream and gula melaka syrup left. Haha. Well I have some bananas, pengat pisang tomorrow maybe! :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Daiso Ramekins

Finally finally went to Daiso!! Wanted to go there for ages already! The first thing I came in, went to the cooking section. Found my ramekins! But they're not white. Oh wells. Can't be choosy for $2 ramekins! There were white ones, but super small white ramekins. And pie tarts too! Oooh so tempting! But I don't know when I'll make tarts hurhur. Actually I'm still thinking what I should bake using these ramekins. I remember having one of those "I wish I had ramekins right now" moments but I can't remember when. Maybe when I was making lava cake . Daiso is evil. It's so cheap you just feel like coming back again! Oh and did I mention there's a $2 weighing scale?! Measures up to a kilo but that's quite alright for baking isn't it! I mean, $2!! Dirt cheap lah. Not sure about the accuracy though. Didn't do much cleaning last weekend, very much spent lazing around at home just like what weekends should be like. I love being at ho

Apam Balik

I love apam balik. The soft one, with lots of corn. So when @khairulaming posted this on his instagram, I bookmarked it. The recipe is not too much until you get sick of eating apam balik, but I do feel it needs some tweaks to get the pancake king version. But not bad for a first try. 2 cups flour 1/2 cup sugar 1 tsp baking powder 1/2 tsp baking soda 2 tbsp melted butter 1 1/4 cups water 1 egg Additional butter for the pan I do feel it needs some salt, more sugar and I shouldn't have liberally made it so thick HAHA. The pan is important too, I kinda burnt some parts of the pancake. Got them bubbles!! This recipe made 2 large pancakes. Also, the filling needs to be sprinkled with sugar liberally (read: 3 tbsp or so), my first try wasn't enough. Pancake was soft even for the next few days after that (kept in the fridge then reheated in the microwave). Husband found it to be acceptable, but I was kinda not okay with it but ohwells. I can tweak it

Rice Cooker Chicken Mushroom Claypot

All in one pot cooking, what's not to love!  Got this off tiktok, but I figured the chicken and mushroom in the recipe isn't enough. Wasn't really one pot cooking cos I cooked half of the chicken on a pan then added it later after the rice cooker was done. Rice Cooker Claypot Chicken marinade: 600g boneless thigh, cut into cubes 6 garlic, pound 2 inch ginger, pound 6 tbsp soy sauce 2 tbsp oyster sauce 4 tbsp sweet soy sauce Rice: Half of the chicken marinade above 2 1/2 cups rice 2 1/2 cups water 3 tbsp sesame oil 2 tbsp soy sauce 1 1/2 chicken cube (maybe 2 also can) 300g shitake mushrooms Coriander leaves, cut Spring onions, cut Marinate the chicken and leave it for about 30 min. Wash the rice. Add half the chicken marinade and all other ingredients into the rice cooker and mix well Cook using rice cooker. I cooked the remaining chicken over the stove and added the chicken, juices and all, into the rice cooker when it was just about done and needed a few minutes to set. M