Skip to main content

Salvaged Chocolate Mousse Cupcakes

Made these on Friday while Husband went Friday prayers. Well actually I wanted to make Nigella's instant chocolate mousse but lazy me didn't read instructions properly and I mixed ALL ingredients in the pot and happily waited till they melted and mixed and as a result, the mousse didn't set. Bummer.

I had all my ingredients ready and my baby sleeping! HAHA. Specially bought marshmallows for this from Phoon Huat, though I think the marshmallows aren't that sweet. Oh wells. Can't be choosy for halal versions ahahhaha. Speaking of which, I love Phoon Huat for their halal logo! Like their vanilla essence is also halal, and these marshmallows too. Awesome! But sadly they're not easily found at NTUC, which means I'll have to stock up only when I go Phoon Huat. I wish there was an outlet near my house.

Anyway, after I made the chocolate mousse, I transferred to 5 ramekins and the balance in my mug for me to savour. It was DELICIOUS. So sinful. Would have made the most sinful fondue ever. Max Brenners can close shop. I added some milk and it's the best chocolate milk everrr!!

Then I realised.

I don't think Husband would want to eat all of that, and although I can teeheehee, I shouldn't. So I decided to make cupcakes out of them. And there was a birthday celebration that day too, so why not add on to the cakes! Hahaha. I googled for some chocolate cupcake recipes, to get a rough gauge what kind of ingredients are required, and I came up with the most cincai recipe ever. I've never been so cincai with baking, only with cooking.

Ingredients

1/3 cup canola oil
All 5 cups of chocolate mousse syrup
1/2 cup sugar (should have added 1 instead!)
1 tbsp bicarbonate soda (thereabouts)
1/2 tsp baking powder
3 medium eggs
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp vanilla essence
  1. Okay here goes my cincai baking method too. Add oil and sugar together, mix. I mixed by hand using a whisk.
  2. Add in the baking powder and bicarbonate soda and vanilla essence. Mix. Like who adds rising agents without the flour?! Me. Hahaha. 
  3. Add in the eggs to the batter, mix in one by one.
  4. Add the flour, a third at a time and combine.
  5. Add in the chocolate syrup, then transfer to 18 cupcake cups, 2/3 full.
  6. Bake at 170 degrees Celsius for 25 minutes.


Batter poured into the cups and dressed them with marshmallows to give added sweetness, but seems like they didn't do the job -_-" But it does look pretty doesn't it! Hahahaha


Fresh from the oven! The marshmallows didn't sink like what I hope they would, oh wells. But on the bright side!! The cupcakes rose nicely! Much better from the jackfruit cupcake attempt.


All dressed up and packed for in-laws' household! Because the marshmallows were pretty ugly and the cake wasn't sweet, I decided to dress them with good sweet stuff. I was lazy to do the whip and frost thingy so I used nutella instead. Was supposed to dress them with peanut butter but that never materialised haha. I think I have to force myself to do some frosting some day. But I do like the lazy frosting effect with a bit of swirl just using the butter knife.


Eaten cupcake. It is light and spongy but not very sweet. Maybe I put in a little too much bicarbonate soda, or I didn't put enough sugar. Must be the sugar. Wanna know why I added half a cup only? Firstly, the chocolate syrup was so sweet with the marshmallows so I thought I could reduce the sugar here. And secondly, I used whatever sugar was in the pack left, I was lazy to open another pack. Haha!

Now that I'm confident with doing cupcakes (jackfruit cupcake deflated my confidence seriously, pun intended), I should strongly consider frosting next time round.

Btw can you believe that these fotos were taken by my iPhone 4?! Good right!! I surprised myself too. Wahahaha

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Daiso Ramekins

Finally finally went to Daiso!! Wanted to go there for ages already! The first thing I came in, went to the cooking section. Found my ramekins! But they're not white. Oh wells. Can't be choosy for $2 ramekins! There were white ones, but super small white ramekins. And pie tarts too! Oooh so tempting! But I don't know when I'll make tarts hurhur. Actually I'm still thinking what I should bake using these ramekins. I remember having one of those "I wish I had ramekins right now" moments but I can't remember when. Maybe when I was making lava cake . Daiso is evil. It's so cheap you just feel like coming back again! Oh and did I mention there's a $2 weighing scale?! Measures up to a kilo but that's quite alright for baking isn't it! I mean, $2!! Dirt cheap lah. Not sure about the accuracy though. Didn't do much cleaning last weekend, very much spent lazing around at home just like what weekends should be like. I love being at ho

Apam Balik

I love apam balik. The soft one, with lots of corn. So when @khairulaming posted this on his instagram, I bookmarked it. The recipe is not too much until you get sick of eating apam balik, but I do feel it needs some tweaks to get the pancake king version. But not bad for a first try. 2 cups flour 1/2 cup sugar 1 tsp baking powder 1/2 tsp baking soda 2 tbsp melted butter 1 1/4 cups water 1 egg Additional butter for the pan I do feel it needs some salt, more sugar and I shouldn't have liberally made it so thick HAHA. The pan is important too, I kinda burnt some parts of the pancake. Got them bubbles!! This recipe made 2 large pancakes. Also, the filling needs to be sprinkled with sugar liberally (read: 3 tbsp or so), my first try wasn't enough. Pancake was soft even for the next few days after that (kept in the fridge then reheated in the microwave). Husband found it to be acceptable, but I was kinda not okay with it but ohwells. I can tweak it

Rice Cooker Chicken Mushroom Claypot

All in one pot cooking, what's not to love!  Got this off tiktok, but I figured the chicken and mushroom in the recipe isn't enough. Wasn't really one pot cooking cos I cooked half of the chicken on a pan then added it later after the rice cooker was done. Rice Cooker Claypot Chicken marinade: 600g boneless thigh, cut into cubes 6 garlic, pound 2 inch ginger, pound 6 tbsp soy sauce 2 tbsp oyster sauce 4 tbsp sweet soy sauce Rice: Half of the chicken marinade above 2 1/2 cups rice 2 1/2 cups water 3 tbsp sesame oil 2 tbsp soy sauce 1 1/2 chicken cube (maybe 2 also can) 300g shitake mushrooms Coriander leaves, cut Spring onions, cut Marinate the chicken and leave it for about 30 min. Wash the rice. Add half the chicken marinade and all other ingredients into the rice cooker and mix well Cook using rice cooker. I cooked the remaining chicken over the stove and added the chicken, juices and all, into the rice cooker when it was just about done and needed a few minutes to set. M