Skip to main content

Ultimate Chocolate Cake

So yesterday we were on half day cos Husband wasn't feeling too well. Went back, and felt like pre-Junior days. Even so, I have become so accustomed to Junior, I kept expecting to hear a baby crying. Hahaha.

While Husband was resting... I baked! And did laundry. I can never resist doing laundry when I see the sun shining so brightly. Husband almost forbid me to do laundry, saying I need to rest too since I'm fasting, but in the end he gave in. Teeheehee.

I tried Ultimate Chocolate Cake by Angela Nilsen from bbcgoodfood.com. I am on the hunt for awesome chocolate cake recipes! I planned to do the ganache but have yet to do so cos I ran out of chocolates haha. You can refer to the website for the original ingredients, but below is what I actually used (some measurements are different cos I don't have weighing scale and proper measuring instruments).

Ingredients:

200g good quality dark chocolate = I used 2 bars of Hershey's (finally finished using them!) one 60% one 40% cocoa and I suspect one has nuts! + some Hershey's kisses to make it to 200g
200g butter, cut in pieces
1 pack instant coffee granules
6tbsp self-raising flour
6tbsp plain flour
1⁄4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
7oz brown sugar
7oz caster sugar
2tbsp cocoa powder
3 medium eggs
75ml milk




Method:
  1. Beat eggs together in a bowl, then pour in milk to get mixture A.
  2. Mix flour, bicarbonate of soda, sugar and cocoa powder in a large mixing bowl. Run through the mixture with your fingers and break any lumps, as in picture B.
  3. In a separate bowl, add 125ml of cold water, coffee granules, chopped up chocolate and butter. Microwave medium for 5 minutes, stirring the mixture occasionally. And you will get mixture C!
  4. Add C to B and mix using a whisk. Add mixture C (picture D) and mix well.
  5. Bake at 160 degrees for 1 hour 15 minutes.

The downside of baking when you're fasting (yes! I made it! 1 day down, 28 more to go!) is you can't get to scrape off the leftover batter in the bowl! But it smells and looks soooo good! While it was baking, omg the smell is AWESOME can! A mix of coffee and chocolate. For a good 45 minutes! I love the aroma of baking. Simply entices you more! And when that was done, I took it out, and my cake had a weird circle popping out on the surface! And it's only the thin layer crust. Weird.


Oh well. So I let the cake to cool, while we went grocery shopping and then picked up Junior. By the time we were back, it was kinda late, and I totally forgot to buy chocolate for the ganache! Should've put it in my grocery list. Tsk.

First thing I did when I went to the kitchen? Had a bite of the cake! It was total YUMS! Very chocolaty, very dense. And moist. Took more pieces and enjoyed it with a cup of milk. Aahhhh. Was so enjoying it, I thought it was the start of weekend already. Dang.

Recipe is a definite keeper, will try it again sometime! And probably reduce the sugar. Hahaha.

Oh and I bought Optima Flour!! Teeheehee!! Sponge cake here I come!! But I'd need a mixer hmm.

Other Chocolate Cake recipes to I might be trying:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Daiso Ramekins

Finally finally went to Daiso!! Wanted to go there for ages already! The first thing I came in, went to the cooking section. Found my ramekins! But they're not white. Oh wells. Can't be choosy for $2 ramekins! There were white ones, but super small white ramekins. And pie tarts too! Oooh so tempting! But I don't know when I'll make tarts hurhur. Actually I'm still thinking what I should bake using these ramekins. I remember having one of those "I wish I had ramekins right now" moments but I can't remember when. Maybe when I was making lava cake . Daiso is evil. It's so cheap you just feel like coming back again! Oh and did I mention there's a $2 weighing scale?! Measures up to a kilo but that's quite alright for baking isn't it! I mean, $2!! Dirt cheap lah. Not sure about the accuracy though. Didn't do much cleaning last weekend, very much spent lazing around at home just like what weekends should be like. I love being at ho

Apam Balik

I love apam balik. The soft one, with lots of corn. So when @khairulaming posted this on his instagram, I bookmarked it. The recipe is not too much until you get sick of eating apam balik, but I do feel it needs some tweaks to get the pancake king version. But not bad for a first try. 2 cups flour 1/2 cup sugar 1 tsp baking powder 1/2 tsp baking soda 2 tbsp melted butter 1 1/4 cups water 1 egg Additional butter for the pan I do feel it needs some salt, more sugar and I shouldn't have liberally made it so thick HAHA. The pan is important too, I kinda burnt some parts of the pancake. Got them bubbles!! This recipe made 2 large pancakes. Also, the filling needs to be sprinkled with sugar liberally (read: 3 tbsp or so), my first try wasn't enough. Pancake was soft even for the next few days after that (kept in the fridge then reheated in the microwave). Husband found it to be acceptable, but I was kinda not okay with it but ohwells. I can tweak it

Rice Cooker Chicken Mushroom Claypot

All in one pot cooking, what's not to love!  Got this off tiktok, but I figured the chicken and mushroom in the recipe isn't enough. Wasn't really one pot cooking cos I cooked half of the chicken on a pan then added it later after the rice cooker was done. Rice Cooker Claypot Chicken marinade: 600g boneless thigh, cut into cubes 6 garlic, pound 2 inch ginger, pound 6 tbsp soy sauce 2 tbsp oyster sauce 4 tbsp sweet soy sauce Rice: Half of the chicken marinade above 2 1/2 cups rice 2 1/2 cups water 3 tbsp sesame oil 2 tbsp soy sauce 1 1/2 chicken cube (maybe 2 also can) 300g shitake mushrooms Coriander leaves, cut Spring onions, cut Marinate the chicken and leave it for about 30 min. Wash the rice. Add half the chicken marinade and all other ingredients into the rice cooker and mix well Cook using rice cooker. I cooked the remaining chicken over the stove and added the chicken, juices and all, into the rice cooker when it was just about done and needed a few minutes to set. M