Skip to main content

Four Day Weekend

So the four day weekend has come and gone. Way to fast! Sadness.

Day one was quite fruitful yet packed. Morning I did laundry (I think? I've done laundry waayyyy to many times over the weekend I forgot!) and entertained my chubbycheeks. Afternoon we went to fetch in-laws and had lunch at Sabar Menanti which somehow wasn't that good on that day for some reason, and then sent them somewhere. Then we went Mustafa's which was kinda crowded and then to my mum's house to rot and celebrate Brother's twenty-fifth birthday. Sister made hazelnut cake and yes!


She bakes! Hahaha. Hazelnut cake with Smuckers chocolate syrup and crushed roasted hazelnuts. Yumyum.

Day two was spent at FFL (YK)'s home, made opera cake and had Indian food for dinner. Husband had a meeting most of the afternoon, bummer. I didn't really take part in the baking cos I was babysitting, how to babysit and make a cake?! Actually I can, I've been doing it all along but that's at home, where I don't even use precision for recipes haha! Yant wants the cake to be perfect, so I'd better stop it with my guesstimations teeheehee. Chubbycheeks was more friendly this time round, he didn't cry as much and he had a fun time playing with the fake grass at the balcony and even tried to pluck them hurhur.


Day three I was reading the papers and it featured River Hongbao 2012 and I completely forgot about it!! How can I! It was my excuse of a date four years ago! Hehehehe. Thank you to the kind soul who posted it on our bulletin :) Anyway. Day three was spent at Husband's grandparents' home. And I watched Ombak Rindu like finally. Actually I couldn't really hear the dialogue but because of prior reading of the very helpful review by omgsianz I could follow the movie. Hahaha. I love Maya Karin. I think she's gorgeous. At night I was exhausted and my back was aching but I was hungry so Other Half cooked sardin masak chili for his beloved wife and it was yummy! :) I like the lemony twist to it! Nicer than ginger! Am so thankful to have a husband who can cook heehee!!

Day four finally finally!! We get to spend exclusive family time. Morning I cooked, after a long looonnngg time, ikan tenggiri masak lemak cili padi and Other Half said it's yummy! Yay! I haven't heard a compliment on my food for some time now! So happyyyy :) Then I tried roasting a head of broccoli (is that what it's called?) with a drizzle of oil cos I read it tastes amazing. Damn easy! Pop it in the oven, and I used the baking time to nurse chubbycheeks! The taste? Okay lah not like omgsodelicious to the point where even Husband will love it but it's kinda good. Will definitely make it again because it allows multi-tasking. In the evening before dinner we went for a walk at Bottletree Village. But. Chubbycheeks wasn't at all keen to look at the fishes. Hah.

So that's it.

OH WAIT!!! How can I forget! I baked yesterday. Hahaha. Since I already cooked for dinner, I had time for some baking! I have been planning it for a few days already, make one basic cake batter, then make different flavour mini cakes. I had butternut squash and carrots to finish, plums, bananas, mandarin oranges, and unwanted chocolates. To my surprise there ARE recipes for butternut squash cakes and plum cakes! But. Those remain ideas in my head. Because in the end, while I did make the cake batter, I ended up making fererro rocher mini cakes and a banana loaf cake. Hahaha!!

Ingredients:
200g butter
9oz self-raising flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
4 medium eggs
7oz sugar
1 cup milk + 1 lime = self made buttermilk

Mix all happily, and bake for about 40-50min at 170 degrees Celsius!


This is the banana loaf. Very moist. Because of the buttermilk I guess. So moist it didn't want to come out of the pan!! Grr. This was made with 2 large bananas squashed, and mixed with batter that was leftover after making six mini cakes below.
My fererro rocher mini cakes! I used the muffin pan without any lining cos I didn't have any hahaha. I put in a tablespoonful of batter, then add in the chocolates, then covered with another tablespoonful of batter or so like in the photo (two have been covered!). And they turned out really well! Other Half loves it yay! Next time I shall add other stuff to these mini cakes. And I think I wanna get a mini loaf pan! Then I can make different flavoured cakes! Or even a rainbow cake wahahaha.

My shopping list just keeps getting longer. Sigh.

Comments

Hi Far,

Thank you for featuring us on your website, it means a lot to us. In your post you mentioned and linked to our mini loaf pan. Since then we have refurbished our website and the link to our products have also changed. We would really appreciate if you could simply change the link to the current one (http://www.b-i-y.com/aluminium-9-cavity-petite-loaf-pan.html) so as to cut down the number of broken links to our website and to ensure that others arrive at the right page.

Many Thanks,
Bake It Yourself
http://www.B-I-Y.com
182 Bukit Timah Road, Singapore 229853
Store Tel: +65 6-100-BAKE / Class Hotline: +65 6-887-1258
Opening Hours: 9am – 7pm (Mondays – Saturdays), closed Sundays & PH

Popular posts from this blog

Daiso Ramekins

Finally finally went to Daiso!! Wanted to go there for ages already! The first thing I came in, went to the cooking section. Found my ramekins! But they're not white. Oh wells. Can't be choosy for $2 ramekins! There were white ones, but super small white ramekins. And pie tarts too! Oooh so tempting! But I don't know when I'll make tarts hurhur. Actually I'm still thinking what I should bake using these ramekins. I remember having one of those "I wish I had ramekins right now" moments but I can't remember when. Maybe when I was making lava cake . Daiso is evil. It's so cheap you just feel like coming back again! Oh and did I mention there's a $2 weighing scale?! Measures up to a kilo but that's quite alright for baking isn't it! I mean, $2!! Dirt cheap lah. Not sure about the accuracy though. Didn't do much cleaning last weekend, very much spent lazing around at home just like what weekends should be like. I love being at ho

Apam Balik

I love apam balik. The soft one, with lots of corn. So when @khairulaming posted this on his instagram, I bookmarked it. The recipe is not too much until you get sick of eating apam balik, but I do feel it needs some tweaks to get the pancake king version. But not bad for a first try. 2 cups flour 1/2 cup sugar 1 tsp baking powder 1/2 tsp baking soda 2 tbsp melted butter 1 1/4 cups water 1 egg Additional butter for the pan I do feel it needs some salt, more sugar and I shouldn't have liberally made it so thick HAHA. The pan is important too, I kinda burnt some parts of the pancake. Got them bubbles!! This recipe made 2 large pancakes. Also, the filling needs to be sprinkled with sugar liberally (read: 3 tbsp or so), my first try wasn't enough. Pancake was soft even for the next few days after that (kept in the fridge then reheated in the microwave). Husband found it to be acceptable, but I was kinda not okay with it but ohwells. I can tweak it

Rice Cooker Chicken Mushroom Claypot

All in one pot cooking, what's not to love!  Got this off tiktok, but I figured the chicken and mushroom in the recipe isn't enough. Wasn't really one pot cooking cos I cooked half of the chicken on a pan then added it later after the rice cooker was done. Rice Cooker Claypot Chicken marinade: 600g boneless thigh, cut into cubes 6 garlic, pound 2 inch ginger, pound 6 tbsp soy sauce 2 tbsp oyster sauce 4 tbsp sweet soy sauce Rice: Half of the chicken marinade above 2 1/2 cups rice 2 1/2 cups water 3 tbsp sesame oil 2 tbsp soy sauce 1 1/2 chicken cube (maybe 2 also can) 300g shitake mushrooms Coriander leaves, cut Spring onions, cut Marinate the chicken and leave it for about 30 min. Wash the rice. Add half the chicken marinade and all other ingredients into the rice cooker and mix well Cook using rice cooker. I cooked the remaining chicken over the stove and added the chicken, juices and all, into the rice cooker when it was just about done and needed a few minutes to set. M