Skip to main content

Cinnamon Loaf

Tuesday blues. Lack sleep. Junior woke me up at the most terrible times. He woke me up just after I dozed off for 15 minutes and it felt like my entire sleep was disrupted. After milk he went back to sleep, only to wake me up 15 minutes later!!! And then he slept peacefully and what seemed like five hours but it was only 1 plus when he woke me up again! Then again at 2, and again at 3, and 4 and he didn't want to sleep back until 6am. I suspect it's teething that's causing him discomfort. When he finally slept at 6, he was holding me tight and cried when I put him in his cot. So I let him sleep with me and hugged him :)

Oh and starting yesterday my FFL isn't gonna be online anymore for a couple of months cos she's happily rotting at home. How I envy her.

Sunday morning I attempted to make Maple Pecan Cinnamon Rolls. Wanted to make them for breakfast but it was ready only after 10 because Junior wanted attention as well. Key word is attempted. I couldn't roll the dough. HAHA. So I scooped them up and put the lumps in the tray.

Here's the recipe with my modifications:

FILLING:
3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 tablespoon salted butter, melted

DOUGH:
3 cups all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup milk (I didn't have buttermilk sobsob)
6 tablespoons salted butter, melted
1/3 cup maple syrup

ICING:
1 can Nestle cream
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla powder
1/2-1 cup milk
  1. To make the filling: Combine all of the dry ingredients in a small bowl. Add the melted butter and stir with a fork until the mixture looks like wet sand. Set aside.
  2. To make the dough: Preheat the oven to 220 C. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add milk, syrup, and 2 tablespoons of the melted butter, and stir until just combined. Transfer the dough to a floured work surface and knead until smooth (it will still be very soft and a little sticky, but will be smoother and less lumpy). Place in a lightly floured bowl, cover, and chill for 20 minutes.
  3. Once chilled, flatten the dough into a rectangle. Pour the filling over the dough and spread it evenly over the top, leaving about a 1/2 inch or so border around the outside edge. Press the filling down to pack it on top of the dough.
  4. Roll, and put it in the tray.
  5. Bake for 30-40 minutes.

I didn't use all of the cinnamon-sugar mix cos I felt it was too much.My dough couldn't be rolled either even after sitting in the fridge for half an hour! Sadness. So after step 3, I just scooped them all up and lumped them together in the tray. Sobsob. And baking took longer than expected! Here's the fotos!

The failed dough :( Couldn't roll at all! So after spreading the dough and spreading the sugar and cinnamon mix, I folded to make it look like a roll and scooped them up and lumped inside the aluminium tray. Oh! I added a box of raisins too!

Half-way filled! See the lumps and the messy 'rolls'? Hahahah!! Looks kinda yummy and the effect is kinda there. Wahahaha
 

All baked! I took like 40 minutes instead of the 20-25 minutes in the recipe? The top is hard but at least the inside's cooked!


And here it is, the cinnamon loaf with my cincai vanilla sauce. Not bad for a first try, my sister said it tastes like McDonald's Cinnamon Melts which I personally have yet to try. Wee!

I love my vanilla sauce! The Husband didn't appreciate this round's bake, he still wants his chocolate cake with ganache. Haha. Fine fine, I'll bake that next!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Daiso Ramekins

Finally finally went to Daiso!! Wanted to go there for ages already! The first thing I came in, went to the cooking section. Found my ramekins! But they're not white. Oh wells. Can't be choosy for $2 ramekins! There were white ones, but super small white ramekins. And pie tarts too! Oooh so tempting! But I don't know when I'll make tarts hurhur. Actually I'm still thinking what I should bake using these ramekins. I remember having one of those "I wish I had ramekins right now" moments but I can't remember when. Maybe when I was making lava cake . Daiso is evil. It's so cheap you just feel like coming back again! Oh and did I mention there's a $2 weighing scale?! Measures up to a kilo but that's quite alright for baking isn't it! I mean, $2!! Dirt cheap lah. Not sure about the accuracy though. Didn't do much cleaning last weekend, very much spent lazing around at home just like what weekends should be like. I love being at ho

Apam Balik

I love apam balik. The soft one, with lots of corn. So when @khairulaming posted this on his instagram, I bookmarked it. The recipe is not too much until you get sick of eating apam balik, but I do feel it needs some tweaks to get the pancake king version. But not bad for a first try. 2 cups flour 1/2 cup sugar 1 tsp baking powder 1/2 tsp baking soda 2 tbsp melted butter 1 1/4 cups water 1 egg Additional butter for the pan I do feel it needs some salt, more sugar and I shouldn't have liberally made it so thick HAHA. The pan is important too, I kinda burnt some parts of the pancake. Got them bubbles!! This recipe made 2 large pancakes. Also, the filling needs to be sprinkled with sugar liberally (read: 3 tbsp or so), my first try wasn't enough. Pancake was soft even for the next few days after that (kept in the fridge then reheated in the microwave). Husband found it to be acceptable, but I was kinda not okay with it but ohwells. I can tweak it

Rice Cooker Chicken Mushroom Claypot

All in one pot cooking, what's not to love!  Got this off tiktok, but I figured the chicken and mushroom in the recipe isn't enough. Wasn't really one pot cooking cos I cooked half of the chicken on a pan then added it later after the rice cooker was done. Rice Cooker Claypot Chicken marinade: 600g boneless thigh, cut into cubes 6 garlic, pound 2 inch ginger, pound 6 tbsp soy sauce 2 tbsp oyster sauce 4 tbsp sweet soy sauce Rice: Half of the chicken marinade above 2 1/2 cups rice 2 1/2 cups water 3 tbsp sesame oil 2 tbsp soy sauce 1 1/2 chicken cube (maybe 2 also can) 300g shitake mushrooms Coriander leaves, cut Spring onions, cut Marinate the chicken and leave it for about 30 min. Wash the rice. Add half the chicken marinade and all other ingredients into the rice cooker and mix well Cook using rice cooker. I cooked the remaining chicken over the stove and added the chicken, juices and all, into the rice cooker when it was just about done and needed a few minutes to set. M