Skip to main content

Kelantan's Ridiculous Ban

"Malaysian city bans heavy make-up, noisy high-heels"
This is a ridiculous ban!! Like, seriously!!! They are suggesting that tapping sound of shoes will encourage rape?!?! What kind of logic is that!!

Malaysian city bans heavy make-up, noisy high-heels
Posted: 24 June 2008 1525 hrs

KUALA LUMPUR - A Malaysian city has banned Muslim women from wearing brightly coloured lipstick and noisy high-heeled shoes to work, the national news agency Bernama reported.

City officials in Kota Bharu, the capital of conservative northern Kelantan state, which is run by Islamic party PAS, distributed a circular to local firms last month to outline the dress code, Bernama said late Monday.

The report said the circular stated that the directive, which targeted Muslim women working in food outlets and other business premises, was aimed at preventing incidents like rape and illicit sex.

It ordered women not to wear thick make-up including bright lipstick, or high-heeled shoes "that gave a tapping sound," although rubber-soled heels were permitted.

The directive said that the headscarf worn by many Muslim women in Malaysia should also cover the chest and not be made of transparent material, and that those who flouted the rules faced a fine of 500 ringgit (150 US dollars).

Muslim Malays make up the majority of Kelantan's population, alongside large ethnic Chinese and Indian minorities.

The state's rulers have in the past made headlines with laws that require separate queues for men and women in shops, and for imposing fines on skimpy clothing.

However, in recent years the party has begun introducing reforms designed to tone down its hardline reputation and woo young voters.

An official from the city's law enforcement department said there had been an "awareness campaign" encouraging Muslim women to conform with Islamic dress codes "with less make-up and more modesty, including wearing headscarves."

She told AFP that she had not seen the circular reported both by Bernama and a television network, adding there were no laws forbidding women from wearing heavy make-up or noisy footwear.

"It is a ridiculous piece of news," said the official, who declined to be identified.

-AFP/jk


Yes, just ridiculous. Shouldn't they be thinking of other strategic things rather than RAPE?

You know what, this actually reflects the shallowness of the guys there. Come on lah, sound of high heels = sexual connoctation?? Then lydat the women in Raffles Place are highly prone to rape lah with their tapping-making stilettoes. And I'm included in that group as well since almost everyday to work I wear noisy heels. What to do, I absolutely LOVE sound-making pumps and stilettoes.

And thick make up. Thick make up is a turn on meh?? I thought it's more of a turn off!! Next thing you know, they'll ban make up totally. Haha lydat can die lah.

Actually har, this is like a disgrace to the country lah, making this law widely known to the world. The way they phrase it, it seems that they're sooo into details for SEX-related issues when actually they could've just told everyone to dress decently, then have guidelines. It depends on the overall outlook of the person what. If it's a fat, not good looking lady we're talking about, if she wears noisy heels and bright red lipstick, will guys on the street be turned on?? No right. Context people, context. Just dress decently. See lah, when I read this, I get the impression that the men are easily seduced, they can't control their eyes - and ears too, in this case. I thought that that shouldn't be the case! Being a Muslim state, they should have better morals than the others. I'm not saying that others are immoral, no. But you just have this assumption that since they're religious and all, they should be able to control their freaking desires. But the impression I get is the opposite.

For those who are selling crocs or the likes, I think you can make money there. Cos I've seen crocs' version of heels, personally I find them ugly, but it could be a hit there! Haha!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Daiso Ramekins

Finally finally went to Daiso!! Wanted to go there for ages already! The first thing I came in, went to the cooking section. Found my ramekins! But they're not white. Oh wells. Can't be choosy for $2 ramekins! There were white ones, but super small white ramekins. And pie tarts too! Oooh so tempting! But I don't know when I'll make tarts hurhur. Actually I'm still thinking what I should bake using these ramekins. I remember having one of those "I wish I had ramekins right now" moments but I can't remember when. Maybe when I was making lava cake . Daiso is evil. It's so cheap you just feel like coming back again! Oh and did I mention there's a $2 weighing scale?! Measures up to a kilo but that's quite alright for baking isn't it! I mean, $2!! Dirt cheap lah. Not sure about the accuracy though. Didn't do much cleaning last weekend, very much spent lazing around at home just like what weekends should be like. I love being at ho

Apam Balik

I love apam balik. The soft one, with lots of corn. So when @khairulaming posted this on his instagram, I bookmarked it. The recipe is not too much until you get sick of eating apam balik, but I do feel it needs some tweaks to get the pancake king version. But not bad for a first try. 2 cups flour 1/2 cup sugar 1 tsp baking powder 1/2 tsp baking soda 2 tbsp melted butter 1 1/4 cups water 1 egg Additional butter for the pan I do feel it needs some salt, more sugar and I shouldn't have liberally made it so thick HAHA. The pan is important too, I kinda burnt some parts of the pancake. Got them bubbles!! This recipe made 2 large pancakes. Also, the filling needs to be sprinkled with sugar liberally (read: 3 tbsp or so), my first try wasn't enough. Pancake was soft even for the next few days after that (kept in the fridge then reheated in the microwave). Husband found it to be acceptable, but I was kinda not okay with it but ohwells. I can tweak it

Rice Cooker Chicken Mushroom Claypot

All in one pot cooking, what's not to love!  Got this off tiktok, but I figured the chicken and mushroom in the recipe isn't enough. Wasn't really one pot cooking cos I cooked half of the chicken on a pan then added it later after the rice cooker was done. Rice Cooker Claypot Chicken marinade: 600g boneless thigh, cut into cubes 6 garlic, pound 2 inch ginger, pound 6 tbsp soy sauce 2 tbsp oyster sauce 4 tbsp sweet soy sauce Rice: Half of the chicken marinade above 2 1/2 cups rice 2 1/2 cups water 3 tbsp sesame oil 2 tbsp soy sauce 1 1/2 chicken cube (maybe 2 also can) 300g shitake mushrooms Coriander leaves, cut Spring onions, cut Marinate the chicken and leave it for about 30 min. Wash the rice. Add half the chicken marinade and all other ingredients into the rice cooker and mix well Cook using rice cooker. I cooked the remaining chicken over the stove and added the chicken, juices and all, into the rice cooker when it was just about done and needed a few minutes to set. M